Friday, May 28, 2010

I'm Makin' Waffles!

I woke Kevin by clanging around in the kitchen in my desire to make some waffles. We've made waffles before with Bisquick, but they always turned out flat. This time I was looking for a recipe that promised fluffy waffles and came across this waffle recipe from Mr. Breakfast.com.

Waffle House Waffles
(my changes are in italics)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (used Chappati Atta wheat flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups milk
  • 8 Tablespoons melted butter (used margarine)
  • 4 large eggs - separated (used only 3 yolks because I messed one up)
  • I also added 1/4 tsp of vanilla and a packet of stevia
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, egg yolks, melted butter and milk. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into batter, then fold in second third. Once incorporated fold in the last of the whites. Cook according to the instructions for your waffle maker.

---------------------------


I don't think these turned out quite like Waffle House waffles, which I think can be attributed to the wheat flour, but these were pretty darn good, a somewhat healthier option, and WAY better than using Bisquick. I'm sure they'd taste even better using the all-purpose flour but I like to "healthify" when I cook. I cannot stress enough the importance of beating the egg whites. I think that makes this recipe fluffier than other waffle recipes, so don't skip it!

No comments:

Post a Comment