Friday, May 28, 2010

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Ok, not really. But I think of that whenever I do some midnight gardening. I was really in the mood to work on my balcony garden and it's usually nicer to do it when it's dark so the construction guys working on the building next door aren't around to watch me and it's not as hot. Well, tonight was hot as Hades and I could see a few peeking guys in the construction elevator. Oh well.

I moved my cilantro to a bigger pot. I'm going to keep it inside because the wind wrecked my last one. I also planted aster and petunia seeds as well as strawberry and dwarf beans. Then finally, for the heck of it, I decided to break up the cloves of a chunk of garlic that was sprouting in my refrigerator and planted that too.

A lot of my garden is failing and I have no idea why. I'm on the 22nd floor of a high rise and we get a fair share of wind so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'm new to this and I know there are certain times of the year to plant certain things, so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. What I'm worried about most are the gardenias I bought four days ago (for only $10 each!). They aren't turning yellow, but they are shriveled up and drooping. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kevin bought some fertilizer with an NPK ratio of "12+12+17+3 Mgo+TE as boron, zinc, manganese, and copper." I have no idea what this means so I'll be googling sometime in the near future. I didn't really want to use any fertilizer on food but my compost is no where ready yet and I don't know which plants the fertilizer is good to use on.

Here's what I have in addition to what I planted tonight:
- 3 "window" boxes of vinca
- 2 gardenias
- 5 or 6 boxes of lettuce and broccoli
- 3 pots of basil
- 1 pot of mint
- 1 pot of cilantro
- 2 bougainvillea
- 2 ficus
- 2 jasmine
- 1 pot of aloe
- 1 pineapple
- 1 banana plant
- 1 unidentified plant I received as a gift

Tomorrow, when it's light out, I'll take pictures and post them.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful what you google. You remember what happened last time. LOL

    ReplyDelete