Tuesday, June 22, 2010

High Fiber Sugar Free Bran Muffins

I've been looking for a recipe for these that doesn't taste like crap or is super high in calories. I was thinking that I would have to modify an existing muffin recipe when I found an article for someone who was looking for the same thing who luckily, already experimented to find something that works. Yay! Less work for me! I was hoping it would be completely from scratch, but since I already had some FiberOne cereal laying around, I figured why not? I plugged these babies into my WW recipe calculator and guess what? ONE point! (Unless you add raisins or nuts or something. Then they're two points.) So without further ado, I give you "I Can't Believe These Are Healthy" Bran Muffins.

High Fiber Sugar Free Bran Muffins (my changes are in italics)
  • 1 1/4 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 1/2 cups of Bran (used FiberOne)
  • 1/2 cup of Oatmeal, not the instant kind
  • 1 cup of granulated Splenda
  • 1/2 cup of Non-Fat Dry Powdered Milk
  • 1 1/4 cups of Skim Mil
  • 1 Egg (large)
  • 1/4 cup of Canola Oil (used applesauce)
  • 1 TBSP Baking Powder (yep, that's tablespoon)
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Non-fat Cooking Spray for pan
  • I added 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Stir together flour, splenda, powdered milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt (and cinnamon and nutmeg) in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine bran cereal, oatmeal and skim milk. Cover bran and oatmeal with as much of the liquid as possible and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Once bran is softened, add egg and oil, beat well. (You don't need an electric mixer, wooden spoon works fine) Add the flour mixture, stirring "only" until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX! Batter will be lumpy. Put even amounts of batter into 6 muffin tins (I used 12 to get them to 1 point) that you coated with non-fat cooking spray.

Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

--------------------------

 
I'm not a huge fan of bran muffins but I wanted to find an easy way to get more fiber in my diet. And for a bran muffin, I think these are the best I've ever had. They are fluffy, they rise, and they don't have a cardboard feel or taste like bran muffins usually do. They're super filling too. Eat one or two of these for breakfast (or a snack!) and you're good to go!

4 comments:

  1. Do you know what the calorie breakdown is? and how much fiber they have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my changes to the recipe and making 12 muffins instead of 6:
    Calories: 110
    From fat: 10
    Fat: 1.2g
    Fiber: 5.6g

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI:

    Using the WW recipe builder, it says 1 point per muffin. Using the regular point calculator it says 2.

    ReplyDelete