Monday, June 7, 2010

Why I Can't Cook: The Sort Of Excuse

I haven't cooked much the past few days. I have a really hard time cooking for just myself. I regress back into my college mentality and I go for super easy meals. I've been eating grilled cheese, PB&Js, oatmeal, and salads. When I do this, I can't help but think that when I have kids I'm going to be nothing like my mother. Even simple cooking gets overwhelming if there is more than one thing going on or I didn't pre-measure everything out. I long for the day that I know what spices/herbs/flavors go together and can just throw something together without a recipe. 

Cooking for me is hard because I do lean on recipes. Cooking is fast paced and taking time to reread a recipe means something is probably bubbling over on the stove. Baking, on the other hand, I can do. Follow the recipe, mix, and pop into the oven. With most things, you can stop to reread the recipe, which I usually have to do a lot. So right now, I'm fighting the urge to get in the kitchen and bake. I still have a week left without Kevin and I don't want that stuff in the apartment without him here to eat at least half. So on that note, I'm going to make myself a smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment