Sunday, June 20, 2010

Jambalaya!

Kevin and I were craving something with a little spice but wanted to make something other than the normal Indian food we usually eat when we're wanting something spicy. I remembered seeing a recipe at Weight Watchers which unfortunately is unlinkable because they don't like to tell non-subscribers how many points something is. We ended up changing quite a bit of the recipe due to what we already had and a few mistakes on my part. Oopsies.

Chicken Jambalaya (my changes are in italics)
  • 2 1/2 oz raw turkey sausage, chopped (used pre-cooked)
  • 1 large onion(s), chopped
  • 1 medium celery, stalk, chopped (omitted because it's expensive here right now)
  • 1 small green pepper(s), chopped
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp table salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
  • 2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
  • 2 medium chicken breast, cooked, skinless, cubed (about 2 cups)
  • 28 oz canned tomatoes, whole, plum, peeled with juice (used 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled)
  • 2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
  • 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long-grain (used brown basmati rice)
Coat a large, nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Over high heat, sauté sausage until crispy on edges. Add onion, celery and green pepper; sauté until tender.

 Reduce heat and stir in cayenne, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic; sauté until garlic is fragrant.

Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth and rice. (I cooked rice separately because brown rice cooks longer.) Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. (I wasn't paying attention and added all the broth even though I was cooking rice separately, so I let it simmer/boil uncovered for about 45 minutes.) Serves 4.

--------------------------

 

This was a joint effort between Kevin and I, so I can't take all the credit. It was my first time blanching, peeling, and coring tomatoes so now I can add that to the experience. I should also say that our jambalaya had paprika in it as well because I mistook it for the cayenne. But it was sooo good and I'm glad I have some leftover so I can eat it again. A nice change from the Indian we usually eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment